Now that the end of the school year is in sight, it's time for party planning. New teachers who are just starting to feel at at "home" will find a party a good excuse to celebrate. After all, it's been a hard year and you deserve some time out of the classroom. Still unsure? Here are a few ideas to help get you started.
Plan Party Themes
Party themes are entertaining and a lot of fun for all teachers. A party theme also makes it easier to plan because the concept is there. They allow for a lot of creative planning and all teachers can get involved with the details of party planning. A few ideas for party themes include:
- Oscar night party theme complete with the red carpet, stars on the walk of fame
- Summer Beach party theme
- Taste of Italy
If you do not go the route of party theme planning, you can plan just a nice party on an open deck with just a few nice party activities. Or plan a BarBQ or other special trips, which is not so shabby either. Some of these parties actually make the best end of the year staff memories.
Music is a great way to connect. You could ask every teacher what music they would want to hear – just one song – and have a contest to see who can guess which teacher asked what song. It's also a great ice-breaker for the classroom, and especially right before the holidays.
Other party activities include:
- End of the year speareches, poems, songs, riddles, games. An adult scavenger hunt or twenty questions is a good idea too.
- Going on a trip, or to a restaurant. Less cooking and preparation. This can also be a great way to celebrate the end of the new year in style!
Party Gifts for Teachers
What is a party without a special gift for teachers retiring or teachers taking a sabbatical? Gift certificates are a good first choice. Other ideas include:
- A book of a teacher's favorite author
- A certificate for a massage or spa or health club membership
- A nice journal
- A photo album containing special photos taken during the year
Time to Party
Consider planning an evening party event rather than an event during the day. An evening event gives teachers time to tune out. Take into account however that some teachers may not be able to come, especially if they have young (er) children and babies at home.
Have a super party! Whatever party ideas you bring to the staff meeting, your contributions are important so do not be afraid to share them. After all, a party is a good excuse for simply sharing each other's company and recharging for the following school year.