Why is June the perfect month for patriotic quotes? Because Flag Day falls on June 14th of course! Flag Day was first celebrated in 1877, commemorating the adoption of the United States flag back in 1777. A one-hundred-year anniversary, so to speak. This Flag Day let’s show our patriotic pride with these ten patriotic quotes celebrating and honoring the American Flag.
1. “Our flag honors those who have fought to protect it, and is a reminder of the sacrifice of our nation’s founders and heroes. As the ultimate icon of America’s storied history, the Stars and Stripes represents the very best of this nation.” ~ Joe Barton
2. “We do not consecrate the flag by punishing its desecration, for in doing so, we dilute the freedom this cherished emblem represents.” ~ William J. Brennan
3. “Our flag is not just one of many political points of view. Rather, the flag is a symbol of our national unity.” ~ Adrian Cronauer
4. “We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one, sole loyalty, and that loyalty is to the American people.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
5. “If anyone, then, asks me the meaning of our flag, I say to him – it means just what Concord and Lexington meant; what Bunker Hill meant; which was, in short, the rising up of a valiant young people against an old tyranny to establish the most momentous doctrine that the world had ever known – the right of men to their own selves and to their liberties.” ~Henry Ward Beecher
6. “That piece of red, white and blue bunting means five thousand years of struggle upwards. It is the full-grown flower of ages of fighting for liberty. It is the century plant of human hope in bloom.” ~ Alvin Owsley
7. “We take the stars from heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity, representing our liberty.” ~ George Washington
8. “Our flag means all that our fathers meant in the Revolutionary War. It means all that the Declaration of Independence meant. It means justice. It means liberty. It means happiness…. Every color means liberty. Every thread means liberty. Every star and stripe means liberty.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
9. “The flag of the United States has not been created by rhetorical sentences in declarations of independence and in bills of rights. It has been created by the experience of a great people, and nothing is written upon it that has not been written by their life. It is the embodiment, not of a sentiment, but of a history.” ~ Woodrow Wilson
10. “I have seen the glories of art and architecture, and mountain and river; I have seen the sunset on the Jungfrau, and the full moon rise over Mont Blanc; but the fairest vision on which these eyes ever looked was the flag of my country in a foreign land. Beautiful as a flower to those who hate it, terrible as a meteor to those who hate it, it is the symbol of the power and glory, and the honor, of fifty million Americans.” ~ George Frisbie Hoar
So remember, it’s not just a piece of cloth – it’s a symbol of challenge, victory, freedom and pride. It’s a reminder of what those who went before us had to do to guarantee our freedoms. The American Flag is, and always will be, one of the most significant symbols of all time. Let’s remember that on this Flag Day as we reflect on these ten patriotic quotes.