Election day falls on November fourth this year, and what better way to celebrate our right to vote than with a few good election day quotes?
After all, it’s a right that was fought for by our fellow citizens throughout our history as a nation. Whether you’re in love with Obama or rooting for McCain, here are some quotes that all Americans will appreciate.
1. “Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be.” ~ Sydney J. Harris
2. “Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption.” ~ James Garfield
3. “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.” ~ John F. Kennedy
4. “Those who stay away from the election think that one vote will do no good: ‘Tis but one step more to think one vote will do no harm.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. “An election is coming. Universal peace is declared and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry.” ~ T.S. Eliot
6. “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” ~John Quincy Adams
7. “A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation.” ~ James Freeman Clarke
8. “The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning.” ~ Adlai E. Stevenson
9. “Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.” ~ Oscar Ameringer
10. “People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote — a very different thing.” ~ Walter H. Judd
11. “Without general elections, without unrestrained freedom of press and assembly, without a free struggle of opinion, life dies out in every public institution…in which only the bureaucracy remains as the active element.” ~ Rosa Luxemburg
So this election day, let’s remember that our right to vote was not a right earned easily. Let these eleven election day quotes remind us to do our part for America. Get out there and vote on election day!