January 28th is National Compliment Day and what better way to get ready than with some great friendship quotes? After all, our friends deserve all the kind words we can possibly bestow upon them, and we usually find ourselves remiss in the practice of complimenting those who deserve it most. Here are 12 quotes to nudge you in the right direction.
1. “I can live for two months on a good compliment.” ~ Mark Twain
2. “There never was a woman who did not prefer an oblique compliment to a straight truth – if the latter were unflattering.” ~ Minna Antrim
3. “The best compliment to a child or a friend is the feeling you give him that he has been set free to make his own inquiries, to come to conclusions that are right for him, whether or not they coincide with your own.” ~ Alistair Cooke
4. “Everybody likes a compliment.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
5. “To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.” ~ George MacDonald
6. “If people did not compliment one another there would be little society.” ~ Marquis De Vauvenargues
7. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ~ Leo F. Buscaglia
8. “If you want to win friends, make it a point to remember them. If you remember my name, you pay me a subtle compliment; you indicate that I have made an impression on you. Remember my name and you add to my feeling of importance.” ~ Dale Carnegie quotes
9. “A friend is one who incessantly pays us the compliment of expecting from us all the virtues, and who can appreciate them in us. The friend asks no return but that his friend will religiously accept and wear and not disgrace his apotheosis of him. They cherish each other’s hopes. They are kind to each other’s dreams.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
10. “A compliment is something like a kiss through a veil.” ~ Victor Hugo
11. “To compliment your friends is easy, yet it’s something that’s not done often enough. To compliment your enemies should be painful indeed, yet we do it every time we give them the turn of our attention.” ~ Author Unknown
12. “A compliment is verbal sunshine.” ~ Robert Orben
And that, my friends, is why sincere compliments are so important. Let us remember to pay our friends the compliments they deserve. Not only on National Compliment Day, but every day throughout the year.