Patriotic quotes are some of the most inspiring and motivating quotes of all time. On the last Monday of each May we honor the men and women who have died in service to our great country — a day that has become known as Memorial Day. This Memorial Day, let’s remember these noble and honorable souls with these 14 patriotic quotes.
1. “The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli
2. “They are dead; but they live in each Patriot’s breast, and their names are engraven on honor’s bright crest.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
3. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” ~ Joseph Campbell
4. “Bravery never goes out of fashion.” ~ William Makepeace Thackeray
5. “We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart.” ~ Albert Einstein
6. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” ~ Norman Schwarzkopf
7. “And each man stand with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can.” ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning
8. “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” ~ Thucydides
9. “The cost of liberty is less than the cost of repression.” ~ Web Dubois
10. “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” ~ John F. Kennedy
11. “The story of America’s quest for freedom is inscribed on her history in the blood of her patriots.” ~ Randy Vader
12. “Cover them over with beautiful flowers, Deck them with garlands, those brothers of ours, Lying so silent by night and by day.” ~ Will Carleton
13. “These martyrs of patriotism gave their lives for an idea.” ~ Schuyler Colfax
14. “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I’ll proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today, ‘cuz there ain’t no doubt I love this land, god bless the USA.” ~ Lee Greenwood
This Memorial Day, let us remember that our freedom did not come without a price. Without the sacrifices of the many brave men and women who died for our nation, we would not enjoy the liberty we know today. Let these fourteen patriotic quotes serve as a reminder of that fact.